Spectacle of Light FAQS
Spectacle of Light 2020 has now ended its run. Details of the 2021 event coming later in the year.
How do I buy tickets for the event?
There are two methods of buying tickets:
- Online: take advantage of our Advance Tickets for 15% off the full ticket price. Buy online here.
- On The Day: On The Day tickets are full price and are only bookable in person from Dalkeith Country Park from 3.30pm onwards on the day of your visit if there is availability. Please note these are not available while we’re in a Level 3 or 4 area – all tickets must be bought online – thank you.
Do I need to buy my tickets in advance?
We highly recommend buying your tickets in advance to help prevent any disappointment. Each time slot has limited availability so the most popular slots are likely to sell out quickly. Plus, you’ll save money by buying online in advance – online tickets are the cheapest.
What do I need to bring with me on the day for entry?
Please bring your ticket with the QR code on it. This can be via a printed ticket or mobile phone. If you booked a loyalty ticket please also bring your loyalty card.
When is my ticket valid?
Tickets are only valid for the specific date and entry time stated on the ticket, selected at the time of booking. You may be refused entry if you arrive after your chosen time.
I’ve booked online but not received a confirmation email.
Please check your junk folder first. If you cannot find it please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0131 654 1666 and we will look into it for you.
I’d like to change my booking, is this possible?
Yes, you can do this within your booking through Citizen Ticket in your Citizen Ticket ‘Wallet’ up to 24 hours before your booking.
My booking is affected by the latest Government restrictions, what do I do?
For those who have a ticket affected by current restrictions and are no longer able to travel into the Midlothian council area, you can transfer your tickets to someone else, request a refund or request the tickets to be moved to next year’s event. *Follow these steps:
If you would like to TRANSFER your tickets to someone else:
1.Sign into your Citizen Ticket account via www.citizenticket.co.uk/signin/
2.Select the ‘My Tickets’ tab, select ‘Ticket Wallet’
3.Select the blue ‘Transfer’ button which appears at the bottom of your ticket and add the details of the person you are transferring too.
If you would like a REFUND (please note we require 48 hours’ notice before your booked date):
- Sign into your Citizen Ticket account via www.citizenticket.co.uk/signin/
- Scroll to the footer of the page and under ‘Help & Support’ click ‘Apply for a Refund’
- If you request a refund, please also note we are not able to refund the booking fee (7%+VAT) that’s included for your purchase as we operate through a third party system – thank you for your understanding. We are also not able to refund any charity donations.
If you would like to MOVE YOUR TICKETS TO 2021:
- Email our team at email@example.com where we can carry your booking forward to next year’s event in winter 2021/22.
What happens if the weather is bad and you have to cancel the event?
Spectacle of Light will only be cancelled if either extreme weather makes the route unsafe, if there is a major fault in our electrical supply or equipment, or Government restrictions on the pandemic tighten once again.
Spectacle of Light is an outdoor event and will not be cancelled due to rain or extreme cold. Visitors are advised to dress appropriately for the weather conditions. No refunds will be offered if the weather is inclement but the Spectacle is safe to go ahead.
In the event of a cancellation, we would attempt to re-allocate your tickets to an alternative evening. However, if this is not possible and you would prefer a refund, payment will be made to you within 14 days.
A decision to cancel the event would be taken at 2pm on the day of the event. Shortly after that we would endeavour to contact you by email, a notice would be posted on our website and updates would be issued through our social media channels.
If you are concerned about the weather conditions on the evening of your visit, please check the website to confirm that the event is going ahead.
I’m a Loyalty Cardholder. Do I get a discount?
Yes, Loyalty Cardholders received 30% off the full ticket price until 31st August 2020. This is valid for use for up to five people in your booking. You will need your loyalty card number when booking and to present at the entry gate.
You are free to explore the sights and sounds of the Spectacle at your own pace but for your enjoyment and safety, certain guidelines should be observed.
Spectacle of Light is an outdoor event held during winter with unpredictable weather so please take some time to read the following advice:
- Please keep to the pathways at all times and for your own safety, do not walk in restricted areas such as by the river.
- Some of the pathways can be uneven or muddy, some of the walkways in Fort Douglas and Sky Maze are designed to move. Please wear sturdy shoes or boots and proceed with care at all times. There are sets of steps within Fort Douglas that are not particularly suitable for buggies that may cause congestion – other routes are offered. If you have an option, it is better for very young children to be carried in a harness.
- Children under the age of 16 should always be accompanied by an adult. Particular attention must be taken with children under 5, ensuring they are always close to and under the control of a responsible adult as there are potential hazards off the designated route.
- Do not touch any of the electrical or lighting equipment at any time.
- Smoking is not permitted in any part of the event.
- Assistance dogs are permitted within the event, but other dogs and pets are strictly prohibited.
- As an extra precaution, it is advised that one member of your group could have a torch or a Smartphone torch which can be used in the event of a power down.
- If a power down does occur, please follow the advice and direction of the stewards who will direct you to an appropriate area of safety and advise you when you can continue.
Keeping You Safe: Covid-19
Please be reassured the safety of our customers and colleagues is our first priority. We are continually monitoring and responding to the pandemic as it evolves in line with the latest Government guidance. If your booking is affected by the latest restrictions, see our ticketing section above.
We are keeping customers and colleagues safe through the following measures on site:
- Reducing the number of tickets on sale within each time slot from previous years, to allow visitors more space for social distancing.
- Restricting the number of tickets in any one booking to six.
- Spectacle of Light is an outdoor event where the risk is deemed lower.
- We will install a one-way route as far as possible in areas that allow this to reduce the chance of pinch points in visitor flow.
- We have hand sanitisation stations in place where appropriate.
- We have additional cleaning measures in place.
- Catering facilities are designed to allow for social distancing.
What we need from you during your Spectacle of Light experience:
- Please only attend in your own family bubble and do not join with any others whilst on site.
- Please follow the signage and stick to the one-way systems in place for social distancing.
- We are operating a cashless site – please bring a card for any purchases for food and drink for example.
- Please use the hand sanitiser stations provided.
- Only one family bubble in bathrooms at one time please.
- Please wear a face mask in any indoor area such as bathrooms.
What is the Spectacle of Light?
The Spectacle of Light is a magical winter light experience set in Fort Douglas at Dalkeith Country Park where the whole family can play after dark.
Enjoy the new illuminated trail across the winding river with its pixie lanterns and starbursts reflected in the water. Gaze at the carpet of colour and marvel at the beauty of the Orangerie and the gardens from the incredible viewing platforms.
Experience the night-time wonder of Fort Douglas all lit under the stars. Take an amazing journey up amongst the tree canopy in the magical Sky Maze and explore all the challenges of this fabulous play area. New this year is the addition of the mini-maze for the under 6’s!
Sip delicious mulled wine and hot chocolate as you enjoy this very special place. Toast marshmallows and tuck into scrumptious hot food in Fort Douglas as well as down at Restoration Yard.
Making the Most of Your Experience
Spectacle of Light experience is designed to be enjoyed at your own pace so you can spend as long or as little as you like here, though we recommend 75 minutes. Enjoying the full experience means going up on the equipment in Fort Douglas for both adults and children to make the most of the stunning views and photo opportunities.
Of course, if you have children in your group, they’ll also love playing in Fort Douglas at night. Don’t forget adults can go on all the playground equipment too!
Plus, there’s more! You’ll find food and drink cabins and marshmallows to buy and toast. Restoration Yard’s magical Store is open for Christmas shopping and The Kitchen available for evening meals on December weekends (more dates may be added). Book a table here.
What dates is it on?
5 – 6 December
9 – 13 December
17 – 23 December
27 – 31 December
2 – 4 January
What times can I book?
You can book time slots at either 4.30pm, 5pm, 5.30pm, 6pm, 6.30pm or 7pm.
What time do I have to arrive?
Please be across the bridge and at the Fort Douglas ticket cabin by your chosen time for entry. Please allow ten minutes from arrival to walk from your car.
Is it suitable for children and adults?
Yes. Spectacle of Light is suitable for all ages. The equipment in Fort Douglas is built for adults too. Please ensure children and especially the under 5s are accompanied at all times as some parts take you up through Sky Maze. However, please note if you do not wish to walk on Sky Maze you do not have to.
How long does it take?
We recommend allowing 75 minutes for the experience, however, you can enjoy the Spectacle at your own pace and stay for longer if you wish.
Are there toilets?
Yes, we have toilets in Fort Douglas and around Restoration Yard’s courtyard.
FOOD, DRINK AND SHOPPING
Can I buy food and drink on site?
Yes! There are opportunities to buy delicious food and drink both before and during your light experience. Hot drinks and a variety of hot scrumptious food will be available in Fort Douglas itself. Or gather round our fire pit and toast marshmallows.
Will your store be open?
Yes. Restoration Yard’s Foodhall in the Store will also be open for some foodie pick-me-ups until 5pm.
GETTING HERE & PARKING
Where are you located?
We’re based just a few miles outside Edinburgh and are easily accessible from the Edinburgh City Bypass. Take the Dalkeith exit from the Sheriffhall roundabout on to Old Dalkeith Road, drive a few hundred yards and take a left into King’s Gate. Postcodes for SatNav is EH22 1ST. Follow this drive down – it’s a long one – but you’re definitely on the right track! You’ll then see signs for parking. There is ample free car parking and we’ll have stewards there to assist you.
If you miss this entrance don’t worry. Carry on up to Dalkeith High Street, turning left at the traffic lights. Drive straight on and you’ll see a set of gates – take a left here into the park (EH22 2NA).
For more details on walking or getting the bus or train, see our Find Us page.
Please note the bypass can be busy at rush hour – it’s worth factoring this into your journey time. Please allow plenty of time for travel and parking as we cannot guarantee entry if you miss your time slot.
Where can I park?
We have ample free car parking within Dalkeith Country Park and there will be stewards on site to help you. We have some accessible parking spaces in the Laundry House Car Park which is a one minute walk to the entrance. Please allow ten minutes to park and walk to the Spectacle of Light entrance.
Is the route accessible?
Parts of the route are accessible. Accessibility can be weather dependent as sometimes the paths get muddy if there is heavy rainfall. The route follows the normal paths around Fort Douglas and the grounds which are accessible to those with reduced mobility and specific needs. Please note there is a relatively steep small hill into Fort Douglas which is accessible for assisted wheelchairs. Some paths can be uneven and care should be taken at all times. There are also areas like Sky Maze, the Fort Treehouse and woodland route that are unfortunately not accessible to wheelchairs or mobility scooters with the small exception of the area to the left as you first go into Sky Maze. Sky Maze has some steps and narrow walkways. However, you can choose to stick to the ground route if you wish.
Personal caring assistants must be over 16 years of age and capable of supporting their companion with specific needs in the event of an emergency or evacuation of the area. Carers go free when assisting their companion who pays the full ticket price. For capacity purposes we still need to know carer numbers so please select ‘Infant- Under 3s’ ticket at the time of booking to book your free carer ticket.
We have accessible car parking in the Laundry House Car Park which is a one minute walk from the entrance.
Assistance dogs are welcome at the event, however other dogs and pets are not.
Can I take buggy or pram on the route?
We don’t recommend taking a buggy on the route due to possible congestion. Carrying small children in a body harness where possible is recommended and easier in case of muddy conditions.
Will there be strobe lighting?
There may be flashing lights but no strobe lighting.
Do you have hearing aid loops for the music?
Unfortunately we do not.
What should I wear?
We recommend wrapping up cosy and warm, bringing a waterproof just in case (we are in Scotland after all) and dressing appropriately for being outdoors. Please wear sturdy comfortable shoes appropriate for winter.
PHOTOGRAPHY, DRONES AND VIDEOGRAPHY
Can I take photographs and video?
Yes, please do! Photography and video for personal use and sharing via social media is encouraged. Share them with us using #spectacleoflight #fortdouglas #dalkeithcountrypark
Just make sure you keep yourself and others safe whilst you do so.
Photography for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited. Please contact us with any specific requests.
Do you allow drones?
No. The Drone Code specifies that drones should not be flown within 150m of a crowd therefore drones are not allowed at the Spectacle of Light.
If you have any other questions please don’t hesitate to contact us:
Phone: 0131 654 1666.
We hope you have a brilliant experience at Spectacle of Light!